Gresley Rovers Homepage
Website sponsored by Hofmeister Liga Gresley Rovers Supporters Club

Match Report  |  Chippenham Town vs Gresley Rovers

Note that this page is from our Gresley Rovers archive. It may not be related to the new Gresley Rovers (formerly Gresley FC until 2020).
23rd February 2002

Match Photos

Chippenham Town vs Gresley Rovers

Bourne again!

Before the visit of Gresley Rovers to Chippenham's Hardenhuish Park, the Wiltshire
side had won 10 games in a 16 match unbeaten run.

That all changed when the visitors took all three points thanks to Andy Bourne's
sixth goal of the season with a 17th minutes header.

John McGinlay had made changes from the side that beat Ilkeston Town in the
Derbyshire Senior Cup semi-final with Richard Wardle dropping back into the
right back berth because of Ian Bluck's injury and Steve Coates recently re-signed
from Hinckley coming into midfield. The strike partnership chosen was Chris
Parkins and Chris White with Simon Tucker on the bench.

As early has the fifth minute Parkins went close after being put through by
Stuart Evans but it was the Bluebirds who shaded the first half helped along
by a stiff wind at their backs.

A long clearance by Westlake was inadvertently headed into the path of Chippenham's
skipper Steve Tweddle by Coates but the striker failed to control the ball and
it ran harmlessly wide.

On 13 minutes, Steve Brown made a good a run holding off Barry Woolley before
the ball ran to Matt Rawlings, whose shot went narrowly over the bar.

Perhaps Gresley's best move of the first half produced the goal when Wardle
capitalised on a mistake by Gareth Davies and with the assistance of Parkins
set up Chris Gray whose right wing cross was met by Bourne who glanced the ball
home beating on-loan keeper Westlake.

On 24 minutes Chippenham were forced to make a change with Danny Hunt replacing
Gareth Davies.

The home side were beginning to get the upper hand when Mings met a Rawlings'
cross but his header lacked power and direction. Both Brown and Hunt sent their
efforts straight at Saul Deeney in the Gresley goal.

On 31 minutes Chippenham should have equalised when Tweddle in acres of space
could only fire wide when unmarked

Gresley could have doubled their lead on 38 minutes but a header from Barry
Woolley brought off a fine save by the home keeper.

On 40 minutes Deeney was called into action and he had to tip over an in swinging
corner from Brown.

The second half began with Gresley applying pressure. A long clearance by Deeney
sent Bourne through, however, before he had time to take advantage Wood had
cleared for a corner.

Woolley sent in a thumping header on 50 minutes but Westlake was quick to react
and denied the big defender with another fine save

On 55 minutes Parkins had another chance to double Gresley's lead but could
only fire a rebound wide after the Bluebirds' keeper saved a shot by White with
his legs.

With less than 10 minutes remaining Parkins again had a chance but headed a
ball by Andy Cheetham wide. He then put a pass through to Coates, but the midfielder
put his shot straight at Westlake.

In the dying minutes Tweddle managed to beat Deeney but the man-of-the-match
Gray deflected the ball away for a corner.

This hard fought victory extended Gresley's run to six games unbeaten with
five clean sheets and they look like a good bet to finish in the top six.

The manager's view of the game

"I think this performance must rate as one of the best this season. Each
player contributed."

"The front two held the ball up very well and Steve Coates came in an
seemed to steady the midfield."

"Now that we have Coates, Mark Peters knows he needs to knuckle down and
what pleased me was that he didn't react despite being the victim of some intimidating

"Saul Deeney was hardly troubled in the first half as we got the ball
down and closed them down even though we were kicking into a strong wind."

"Perhaps if we had to nit-pick, our final ball could have been better
when we had got ourselves into some good areas."

"We should go into Wednesday's game with some confidence. We may rest
Andy Bourne for that match because he's been carrying a knee injury for quite
a while and would carry on if I asked him."

"However, I feel the time is right to give the knee a rest for one or
two games so he'll be fit for the run-in."

Chippenham Town (0) 0
Gresley Rovers (1) 1

Scorer: Bourne 17.

Chippenham Town: Westlake, Vickerman, Dicks, Andrews, Davies (Hunt 24),
Woods, Brown (Bent 70), Charity, Tweddle, Rawlins (Harrington 65), Mings.

Gresley Rovers: Deeney, Wardle, Cheetham, Coates, Woolley, Evans, Bourne
(Moran 73), Peters, White, Parkins, Gray. Subs not used: Tucker, Withers.

Star Man:
Chris Gray - Never stopped running.

Referee: R Green (Berkeley).

Attendance: 553