Gresley Rovers Homepage
Next First Team Game
Rugby Town
7.45pm, This evening (home)

Match Report  |  Ossett United vs Gresley FC

Note that this page is from our archive during the time when the club was called Gresley FC. It may not be related to the old Gresley Rovers.
Ossett United  1
Greaves (pen) 32
Gresley FC  0

Evo-Stik NPL League East Division

Ingfield Stadium, Ossett

Saturday, 9th February 2019, 3.00pm

So Close

Those Gresley faithful who made the trip to Ossett witnessed one of the best performances seen for a while from the Moatmen and it was appreciated and fully deserved the applause as they left the field.

But for some disappointing officiating Gresley could or maybe should have left West Yorkshire with a share of the points their play fully deserved especially in the second half.

Gresley manager Gavin Hurren gave debuts to two new signings keeper Charlie Price and young central defender Harry Walker along with Micah Edwards. Hurren was informed that keeper Oliver Fairbrother had twisted a knee training with his parent club Burton Albion, and he was also without forward Luke Barlone who was also injured.

Callum Riddell had overcome his illness and Kane Lee was restored to the starting line-up with Cameron Steele taking a place on the bench.

After the home drubbing by 10-man Ossett just two weeks ago the Gresley faithful could have been forgiven for thinking that the prospect of another was on the cards as the home side are on a hot streak at the moment and are gunning for a play-off slot come the end of the season.

With a stiff wind in their faces, Gresley were soon under pressure with Tom Greaves heading a cross from Aidan Chiooendale wide at the far post.

Gresley hit back with Lee firing a shot just wide of the far post. Seconds later United should have taken the lead. Young defender Walker was still literally finding his feet on the soft surface and his slip let Adam Priestly in but with just Price to beat he managed to steer his effort wide.

Aided by the wind Ossett were putting Gresley under pressure with Marko Basic firing wide and James Kowles heading Corey Gregory’s corner from the left into the side netting at the far post.

Ossett took the lead in somewhat dubious circumstances. A ball into the area saw Greaves go down under the slightest of touches from a Gresley defender and referee Mr Guest made the first of some very disappointing decisions throughout the game. Greaves took the spot kick and beat Price.

Gresley fought back with Eric Graves heading a cross from the right straight at home keeper Brett Souter.

The second half largely belonged to the visitors who with the wind at their backs started to press the home side back.

Within minutes of the re-start Riddell was testing Souter with a shot and Lee heading wide a long throw-in from Albert Lansdowne.

Almost on the hour Ossett went close to doubling their advantage with a shot from the left which flashed across the face of Gresley’s goal.

Mark Branch was the provider of a good ball for Curvin Ellis who struck a shot which flew past the near post. Price did well to deny Priestly at the other end.

Gresley had a good shout for a penalty when the referee played advantage but after the official waved away the penalty instead of returning to the original offence just outside the area played on much to the anger of the Gresley players, bench and supporters.

Another strange decision from the official came on 63 minutes as Riddell was trying to shield the ball out of play he was barged into the perimeter wall by Greaves. The referee appeared to award a corner for Ossett but then decided to book Greaves and give Gresley a free kick!

For the final 15 minutes Gresley threw everything at Ossett and went inches from levelling when Riddell took a corner from the left and was unlucky to see his kick come of the base of the near post.

With Gresley pressing forward they almost got caught when Priestly cut in from the right and curled a great shot just wide of the far post. Gresley continued to look for that elusive goal with Lee seeing his header being saved by Souter.

In time added on Gresley keeper Price was involved at both ends of the pitch. First, he made a superb save but then, with time almost up, his run into the area and his header from a cross almost crept under the Souter’s bar but the keeper just managed to get a finger to the ball to tip it over.

If Gresley can keep this sort of performance up those longed for three points will surely arrive.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 4 4
Shots off Target 4 7
Corners 4 5
Fouls Conceded 15 14
Yellow Cards 2 2
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 50 50
Streaming Interview
Ossett United
1 Brett Souter
2 Jack Vann
3 Chris Chantler
4 Tyrone Gay
5 James Knowles (c) Yellow Card
6 Corey Gregory
7 Adam Priestly
8 Andy Monkhouse
9 Tom Greaves Yellow Card
10 Marko Basic
11 Aidan Chippendale
12 Myles Foley
not used
14 Shiraz Khan
for 10 - 64 mins
15 Tom Corner
for 11 - 82 mins
16 Myron Gibbons
not used
17 Harrison Davison-Hale (GK)
not used
Gresley FC
1 Charles Price
2 Jacob Sturgess Yellow Card
3 Mark Branch (c)
4 Harry Walker
5 Mark Smith
6 Eric Graves
7 Callum Riddell
8 Luke Moran
9 Curvin Ellis
10 Albert Lansdowne
11 Kane Lee
12 Luke Morgan Yellow Card
for 2 - 68 mins
14 Cameron Steele
for 5 - 78 mins
15 Jake McIntosh
not used
16 Harry Heartfield
not used
17 Micah Edwards
for 8 - 65 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Daniel Guest (Rotherham)

Attendance: 356

Star Player

Charlie Price

Made a good debut with some good saves and almost a goal