Gresley Rovers Homepage

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Wisbech Town

Note that this page is from our archive during the time when the club was called Gresley FC. It may not be related to the old Gresley Rovers.
Gresley FC  2
Lee 13, 70
Wisbech Town  2
Frew 51  |  McQuaid 77

Evo-Stik NPL League East Division

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Saturday, 24th November 2018, 3.00pm

Off Colour Gresley Hang On For A Point

Gresley were left frustrated again as another poor decision, the third in consecutive games at the Moat Ground, from an official led to another goal conceded.

Gresley manager Gary Norton was again without midfielder Dexter Morris Clarke and defender Albert Lansdowne as they served out their suspensions. However, Dominic Allen returned after serving his one match ban.

The match was a poor one overall with neither side taking control especially in the first half. However, Gresley took the lead on 13 minutes. A long kick was flicked on into the path of Kane Lee who beat his marker and slipped the ball past visiting keeper Daniel Swan.

Minutes later Wisbech should have levelled when Toby Hilliard was put through but with only keeper Oliver Fairbrother to beat blazed his shot well over the bar.

Wisbech went close again on 28 minutes when Eoin McQuaid free kick from the right was headed into the side netting at the far post.

Two minutes later Lee had the chance to double his and Gresley’s tally when again he found himself through on goal only to be denied by the out outstretched leg of Swan.

Wisbech levelled on 51 minutes in somewhat controversial circumstances. A long ball was launched forward and clearly handled but the play was allowed to continue, and substitute Michael Frew ran forward and beat Fairbrother.

They say that these decisions even themselves out during a season and if that’s the case then Gresley will be receiving a bucket full very soon!

The game became very scrappy again with neither side having the guile to break through for the next 15 minutes with the only bright spark coming from Wisbech’s Adam Millson hitting a tame shot straight at Fairbrother. Fairbrother then made sure a shot went over getting a fingertip to the ball.

The visitors had a chance to take the lead on 67 minutes with a shot from the right of the area blocked by Fairbrother.

Three minutes later it was the home side who took the lead and the goal was handed to them on a plate. A long kick down field by Fairbrother was totally misjudged by Swan who had come rapidly off his line the resultant fumble was gladly collected by quickly reacting Lee who was able to knock the ball into the empty net for his second of the afternoon.

The lead only lasted 7 minutes as Wisbech once more levelled the scores. A corner from substitute Danny Setchell was headed home by the unmarked McQuaid.

Gresley went so close to grabbing a late winner when substitute Callum Riddell shot from the right appeared to have been tipped onto the face of the bar by Swan.

A poor game by two poor teams ended in what was, in the end, probably a fair result. Gresley must play a lot, lot better next week as they make the ridiculously long journey up to Redcar, Cleveland to face one of the pre-season favourites for the title Marske United.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 4 5
Shots off Target 2 3
Corners 3 6
Fouls Conceded 14 11
Yellow Cards 2 3
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 48 52
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Oliver Fairbrother
2 Mark Branch
3 Lucas Harrison Yellow Card
4 Jamie Barrett (c)
5 Matt Roome
6 Eric Graves
7 Martin Smyth
8 Luke Morgan
9 Kane Lee
10 Cameron Steele Yellow Card
11 Harry Lansdowne
12 Kieran O'Connell
not used
14 Dominic Allen
for 10 - 73 mins
15 Alex Steadman
for 11 - 63 mins
16 Callum Riddell
for 7 - 69 mins
17 Jake McIntosh
not used
Wisbech Town
1 Daniel Swan
2 Aaron Hart
3 Jack Keeble Yellow Card
4 Jonathan Fairweather (c)
5 Samuel Gaughran
6 Eoin McQuaid
7 Adam Millson
8 Layton Maddison
9 Toby Hilliard
10 Alex Beck
11 Oliver Gale Yellow Card
12 Michael Frew
for 11 - 46 mins
14 Danny Setchell Yellow Card
for 8 - 46 mins
15 Nicholas Jackson
not used
16 Thembelani Nkala
for 10 - 89 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Alan Cox (Coventry)

Attendance: 166

Star Player
Kane Lee

Kane Lee

One of just a few bright sparks on a dismal afternoon