Gresley Rovers Homepage

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Ossett United

Note that this page is from our archive during the time when the club was called Gresley FC. It may not be related to the old Gresley Rovers.
Gresley FC  0
Ossett United  5
Priestly 29, 45, 52  |  Corner 80, 90

Evo-Stik NPL League East Division

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Saturday, 26th January 2019, 3.00pm

10 Men Ossett Too Good For Gresley

Gresley’s new regime were given a baptism of fire as they were well beaten by a rampant Ossett side who were reduced to 10 men on 37 minutes.

The home side gave seven players Ben Jevons, Mark Smith, Luke Moran, Curvin Ellis, Luke Barlone, Trey Braithwaite and Jacob Sturgess their debuts.

On a very heavy pitch the visitors settled first and had the first attempt on goal but Aiden Chippendale’s shot flew wide of the left post.

They went close again on 19 minutes when Tom Greaves’ header, after a fast break, was saved by Gresley keeper Oliver Fairbrother.

Ossett’s first goal was a strange one. A ball forward looked to have been left by the Gresley back line. Whether they all thought the two visiting players were offside, no-one made any effort to try and get the ball until it was a couple of yards past them but the impressive Adam Priestly strode forward before smashing the ball past Fairbrother.

On 37 minutes Gresley had a chance to level things. A ball was played forward and new signing Curvin Ellis was beginning his run towards goal but was stopped when Alex McQuade cynically handled the ball. Referee Mr Stonier had no option but to give the Ossett captain his marching orders for such a blatant foul which prevented a possible goalscoring opportunity.

The game got niggly with Ossett guilty of a series of fouls which called for four or five of there players surrounding the referee on almost every occasion.

Ossett doubled their advantage almost on the halftime whistle. A dubious free kick awarded on the left edge of the area. The wall was lined up but there was enough of a gap on the left to allow Priestly to fire a low, but not cleanly hit, shot into the bottom corner with Fairbrother stationary.

It only took 7 minutes of the second half to see Ossett add another goal when a cross from the right was headed in by Priestly at the far post completing his hat-trick.

It was clear that Gresley were still finding their feet, sometimes literally on the rapidly deteriorating surface. They did have an attempt on target on 61 minutes when a free kick by Braithwaite needed to be saved by visiting keeper Brett Souter.

A few minutes later Gresley went close again. This time Mark Branch’s free kick from the edge of the area was headed straight at Souter by Barlone.

On 73 minutes Ossett should have extended their lead when Greaves beat two defenders before cutting in from the right but with the goal at his mercy somehow managed to put his effort wide of the far post.

A bizarre goal on 80 minutes handed Ossett number 4. A long range shot from the left by substitute Tom Corner was at first saved by Fairbrother but then, lying on the floor, he managed to push the ball over his body and into the net much to his embarrassment.

Gresley went close again to getting on the scoreboard when a Barlone cross was only a whisker away from the forehead of Smith running in at the far post.

To rub salt into the already gaping wound Corner scored his second and Ossett’s fifth deep in time added on.

It will take a few games for the influx of new Gresley players to gel together but let’s hope it sooner rather than later with games beginning to run out.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 4 7
Shots off Target 2 6
Corners 1 2
Fouls Conceded 9 15
Yellow Cards 3 2
Red Cards 0 1
Possession (%) 45 55
Gresley FC
1 Oliver Fairbrother
2 Albert Lansdowne
3 Mark Branch (c)
4 Ben Jevons
5 Mark Smith Yellow Card
6 Eric Graves
7 Cameron Steele
8 Luke Moran
9 Curvin Ellis
10 Luke Barlone
11 Trey Braithwaite Yellow Card
12 Jacob Sturgess Yellow Card
for 7 - 66 mins
14 Kane Lee
for 8 - 66 mins
15 Luke Morgan
not used
16 Joshua Garland
for 11 - 66 mins
17 Ben Allsop (GK)
not used
Ossett United
1 Brett Souter
2 Jack Vann
3 Myles Foley
4 Alex McQuade (c) Red Card
5 James Knowles Yellow Card
6 Corey Gregory
7 Adam Priestly
8 Andy Monkhouse Yellow Card
9 Tom Greaves
10 Aidan Chippendale
11 Chris Chantler
12 Marko Basic
for 7 - 82 mins
14 Myron Gibbons
not used
15 Frimpong Boachie
for 10 - 40 mins
16 Tom Corner
for 5 - 25 mins
17 Harrison Davison-Hale (GK)
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Paul Stonier (Stoke on Trent)

Attendance: 230

Star Player

Curvin Ellis

Made a hard working debut.