Gresley Rovers Homepage

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Marske United

Note that this page is from our archive during the time when the club was called Gresley FC. It may not be related to the old Gresley Rovers.
Gresley FC  0
Marske United  1
Owens 16

Evo-Stik NPL League East Division

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Saturday, 23rd March 2019, 3.00pm

Gresley's Agony Continues

Gresley’s dismal home record continued as they were beaten by Marske United who at one stage of the season were fighting at the top, but recent form has seen them slide down to mid table.

Gresley manager Gavin Hurren was without Mark Smith, Callum Riddell, Bradley Lawley, Dexter Morris-Clarke and Spencer Weir-Daley but they started the game brightly forcing corners and a free kick all within the first 10 minutes.

However, it was Marske who had the first effort on goal, but Jamie Owens fired straight at home keeper Aiden Jeynes.

Gresley handed their visitors a gift of a goal on 16 minutes. A looping high ball into the 6 yard box was landing very close to the bar and whether Jeynes lost sight of the ball or thought it was going over he allowed the ball to go over his head and the surprised Owens was on hand to nod the ball home at the back post.

The home side had their only shot on target on 24 minutes, but Kame Lee’s effort was easily dealt with by visiting keeper Robert Dean.

Craig Gott shot at Jeynes for Marske as they began to get on top and they should have doubled their advantage just before the break when Jack Blackford skipped around several half-hearted tackles to get inside the penalty area but his final shot was blasted well over from 8 yards out.

After the midweek game at Stocksbridge were Gresley improved in the second half those who had made the midweek trip would be deeply disappointed with this second period as a lack lustre Gresley just didn’t get into gear.

Gresley won themselves several corners and free kicks in promising positions but could not take advantage of any of them. The closest Gresley came was a shot from Connor Deards which went high over the bar on 51 minutes.

Marske squandered another good chance on 69 minutes when Chay Liddle skewed his shot at a wide-open goal to almost hit the corner flag. Two minutes later, they went close again but Andrew May headed Curtis Round’s corner narrowly over.

Some more good play by the visitors ended with substitute Jacob Sturgess, who had replaced Devante Rettie, clearing a shot off the line.

On 82 minutes the normally deadly Owens, who had hit a first half hat-trick against Gresley at the beginning of December, struck a shot of such ferocity that is came back off the bar and bounced on the edge of the penalty area.

Cameron Steele pushed forward for the final 10 minutes or so and after cutting in from the right hit his shot over the bar.

That was to be the final action for Gresley as the referee ended the game a couple of minutes later.

Gresley have an uphill struggle to save their season and league membership but it is still possible but not if they play like today.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 1 7
Shots off Target 3 5
Corners 8 2
Fouls Conceded 11 11
Yellow Cards 0 1
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 48 52
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Aidan Jeynes
2 Cameron Steele
3 Mark Branch
4 Albert Lansdowne
5 Harry Walker
6 Micah Edwards
7 Devante Reittie
8 Joseph Haines
9 Joshua McKenzie
10 Connor Deards
11 Kane Lee (c)
12 Jacob Sturgess
for 7 - 71 mins
14 Luke Moran
not used
15 Jake McIntosh
not used
16 Ben Allsop (GK)
not used
Marske United
1 Robert Dean
2 Callum Martin
3 Curtis Round
4 Glen Butterworth
5 Andrew May
6 Adam Wheatley (c)
7 James Fairley
8 Craig Gott
9 Chay Liddle Yellow Card
10 Jamie Owens
11 Jack Blackford
12 Matthew Waters
not used
14 David Hillerby
not used
15 Liam O'Sullivan
not used
16 Leon Carling
not used
17 Liam Watson (GK)
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Dean Streatham (Bilston)

Attendance: 222

Star Player

Joseph Haines

Another good solid performance