Gresley Rovers Homepage

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Loughborough Dynamo

Note that this page is from our archive during the time when the club was called Gresley FC. It may not be related to the old Gresley Rovers.
Gresley FC  1
Reittie (pen) 89
Loughborough Dynamo  2
Robbins 17  |  Thorogood 57

Evo-Stik NPL League East Division

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Monday, 22nd April 2019, 3.00pm

Gresley Are Still Hanging On

Gresley’s grasp on their step 4 status is perilous to say the very least and with Carlton also losing at home it all goes down to the last games of the season with both teams having very difficult away trips. Gresley to league runners-up elect Pontefract and Carlton to Marske.

The Moatmen’s task against Loughborough was difficult enough but then going down to ten men after conceding a goal with almost 60 minutes to play things looked bleak,

On a sweltering afternoon Gresley fell behind on 17 minutes when former Moatman Ryan Robbins volleyed home a cross from the left.

Spencer Weir-Daley had Gresley first effort, but it was straight at visiting keeper Jason Alexander. Minutes later Callum Riddell fired a shot over the bar before a rash challenge by Dexter Morris-Clarke on Josh Riley saw referee Mr Chalkley show a straight red card.

Gresley managed to steady the ship after a change of formation reducing Dynamo to a shot from Charlie Young which went well over the bar.

The second half started with some early Dynamo pressure. Substitute Corbi Brown firing at Ben Allsop and Karl Demidh missing the mark.

On 53 minutes Dynamo went close to doubling their advantage when Brown cut in from the left but blasted his shot into the side netting.

Gresley went agonisingly close to levelling the scores on 56 minutes. Mark Branch made a run down the left and fired a shot into the area. Weir-Daley flicked the ball on and saw his spinning shot brush the base of the far post and out for a goal kick.

The home side were left to rue that miss as a minute later the ball was up at the other end with Luke Thorogood drilling a shot past the helpless Allsop. On 72 minutes Robbins almost got his second goal but his effort went wide.

Despite wilting in the heat after play for so long with a man less Gresley, to their credit, kept their heads up and continued to go forward forcing a corner which was cleared.

However, on 89 minutes they did get some reward for the endeavours. Substitute Devante Reittie, who had replaced Riddell chased after a ball deep in the Loughborough area and was upended by the goal line. The referee did not hesitate in awarding the penalty and Reittie dusted himself down and blasted the ball past Alexander.

With the news that Carlton had also been defeated the unlikely finish to the season now rests on both sides’ final away games, one which Gresley must win to give them any hope with Carlton falling at Marske.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 3 4
Shots off Target 2 7
Corners 4 1
Fouls Conceded 10 10
Yellow Cards 0 2
Red Cards 1 0
Possession (%) 48 52
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Ben Allsop
2 Jacob Sturgess
3 Mark Branch
4 Albert Lansdowne
5 Mark Smith (c)
6 Bradley Lawley
7 Callum Riddell
8 Joseph Haines
9 Joshua McKenzie
10 Dexter Morris-Clarke Red Card
11 Spencer Weir- Daley
12 Devante Reittie
for 7 - 57 mins
14 Connor Deards
for 9 - 63 mins
15 Jake McIntosh
not used
16 Micah Edwards
for 6 - 50 mins
17 Aiden Jeynes (GK)
not used
Loughborough Dynamo
1 Jason Alexander
2 Carl Sibson
3 Daniel Gordon
4 Charlie Young
5 Luke Foster Yellow Card
6 Louis Keenan (c) Yellow Card
7 Luke Thorogood
8 Curtis Burrows
9 Karl Demidh
10 Ryan Robbins
11 Josh Riley
12 Corbi Brown
for 11 - 41 mins
13 Tom Oliver (GK)
not used
14 Kyle Bryant
for 9 - 68 mins
15 Ross Haig
for 7 - 78 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Scott Chalkley (Birmingham)

Attendance: 181

Star Player
Jacob Sturgess

Jacob Sturgess

Another good solid performance. Tried to drive his side forward