Gresley Rovers Homepage

Match Report  |  Heath Hayes vs Gresley FC

Note that this page is from our archive during the time when the club was called Gresley FC. It may not be related to the old Gresley Rovers.
Heath Hayes  1
? 3
Gresley FC  5
Sullivan (pen) 1  |  Potts 12  |  A Lansdowne 51, 90  |  Reittie 65

Pre-Season Friendly

Coppice Colliery Ground, Heath Hayes

Saturday, 27th July 2019, 3.00pm

Gresley Finish On A High

Gresley wrapped up their pre-season schedule with a comprehensive win at Heath Hayes. In complete contrast to the weather of the last week or so this game was played in steady rain making the pitch slick and soft.

The visitors got off to a lightening start putting the ball in the net after just 35 seconds after Kane Lee was upended in the area. Paul Sullivan took the spot kick sending the home keeper the wrong way.

However, Gresley seemed to be still celebrating when the home side struck back almost from the re-start. A corner from the left was swung into the area and after several attempts at trying to clear the loose ball in the crowded box a home player struck the ball home.

Sullivan went close to adding to his tally on 8 minutes heading Jordan Fitzpatrick’s free kick just wide of the far post. Three minutes later the visitors went close again this time, from David McDonald’s corner, Mason Rowley powered a header which was cleared off the line.

Gresley regained the lead on 12 minutes. A ball played down the left saw home keeper come racing out of his area, Mark Potts ran towards the ball and the keeper tried to slide in a tackle which caused Potts to fall but he got up quickly and was able to slip the loose ball into the empty net.

Potts went close again when played in by Sullivan, but the final shot was straight at the keeper. The keeper then denied two goal scoring chances for Gresley. The first was when Kane Lee was put through on goal, but the keeper did well to parry the ball away for a corner.

From the resultant corner from Fitzpatrick, there was a scramble in the area before Potts fired towards goal, but the keeper did well to push the ball onto post and out for another corner.

Gresley made changes at the break and one of the replacements was involved in them going close. James Bennett-Tindall swung in a corner from the right which reached Albert Lansdowne, but his first-time shot was blocked on the line.

The visitors extended their lead on 51 minutes when Lansdowne headed powerfully into the far corner from Joe Haines freekick.

For a period, the game became quite scrappy, but Hayes were undone on 65 minutes. A ball was played through for Lee to run onto but as he burst forward, he was tripped, with the ball running on. The referee made the decision to play on and substitute Devante Reittie took full advantage by collecting the ball, striding forward before slotting into the net.

The home side went close to a second goal, but Ben Allsop did well to push a goal bound header from the far post away to safety.

Lansdowne added Gresley fifth goal and his second with another powerful header from Barrett-Tindall’s corner.

A good work out for Gresley but the real work starts next Saturday when they start their Midland Football League campaign with a tough trip to Walsall Wood.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 8 2
Shots off Target 2 2
Corners 10 4
Fouls Conceded 11 10
Yellow Cards 0 0
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 65 35
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Ben Allsop
2 Jacob Sturgess
3 Joe Haines
4 Jordan Fitzpatrick
5 Mason Rowley
6 Albert Lansdowne
7 David McDermott
8 Andrew Westwood
9 Paul Sullivan (c)
10 Mark Potts
11 Kane Lee
12 James Bennett-Tindall
14 Daryll Thomas
15 Ben Healey
16 Jake McIntosh
17 Jarrod Grant
18 Devante Reittie