Gresley Rovers Homepage

Match Report  |  Gresley FC vs Highgate United

Note that this page is from our archive during the time when the club was called Gresley FC. It may not be related to the old Gresley Rovers.
Gresley FC  1
Zazi (pen) 51
Highgate United  3
Spencer 21  |  Brown 36  |  Njie 75

Midland Football League Premier Division

The Moat Ground, Church Gresley

Saturday, 5th October 2019, 3.00pm

Match Sponsor: Mark Hopkins

The Wait Goes ON

Gresley are still looking for their first win of the season in the league after being beaten by Highgate United at the Moat Ground.

In a few games this season they have given themselves a mountain to climb at half time and so it was today.

Gresley manager Dave McDermott was without David Leak and Conor Gater so he shuffled his side to try and get that that elusive win.

Highgate took the lead on 21 minutes when Gresley gave away a needless free kick. Alex Price swung the ball over to the right and a cross was put into the edge of the 6-yard box where Chris Spencer was waiting to fire the ball home. For Gresley Joel Howes went close but put his shot wide of the near post.

Highgates doubled their lead on 36 minutes. A long ball was pumped forward where Jacob Sturgess was waiting to clear the danger. However, former Moatman Lei Brown appeared to foul Sturgess in the D but amazingly referee Mr Clenton allowed play to continue and Brown coolly lobbed the ball over Ben Allsop and into the net.

Gresley made a change at the break with Mark Potts replacing Howes. The change seemed to give the home side a bit of a spark and as they pressed forward Nehemia Zazi was brought down in the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Zazi took the shot himself and although the keeper got a hand to the ball diving to his left the ball, he could not prevent the ball from going into the net.

The home side were forced into a change on 62 minutes when Potts, who was bravely going in for the ball, was clattered by the keeper James Beeson and received a serious cut around his eye. McKlane Durdey replaced Potts as the unlucky player was escorted off to the dressing room for treatment which ultimately resulted in a hospital visit for stitches.

On 70 minutes Highgate were reduced to 10 men when Brown was shown a straight red card. However, the loss of Brown did not seem to disrupt things for the visitors. Indeed, they scored a third goal just five minutes later.

With Gresley pressing high up the pitch searching for the leveller they were caught out by a fast break down the right. Stuart Hendrie finished his run by putting the ball into the Gresley box and substitute Seegu Sebbeh Njie had the easy task to slot the ball in at the far post.

Gresley still tried to push forward with Sam Pilkington firing just wide and Zazi, after being put through down the left curled his shot wide of the far post.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 3 3
Shots off Target 5 1
Corners 2 2
Fouls Conceded 14 17
Yellow Cards 0 3
Red Cards 0 1
Possession (%) 55 45
Streaming Interview
Gresley FC
1 Ben Allsop
2 Ben Healey
3 Joel Howes
4 Jordan Fitzpatrick
5 Jacob Sturgess
6 Jake McIntosh (c)
7 Joe Haines
8 Sam Pilkington
9 Nehemia Zazi
10 Albert Lansdowne
11 James Bennett-Tindall
12 Mark Potts
for 3 - 46 mins
14 McKlane Durdy
for 12 - 62 mins
15 Harry Heartfield
not used
17 David McDermott
not used
Highgate United
1 James Beeson
2 Nathan Pullsciano
3 Connor Doyle
4 Chris Spencer Yellow Card
5 Shay Palmer
6 Sam Oji (c) Yellow Card
7 James Wilcox
8 Alex Price
9 Stuart Hendrie
10 Lei Brown Red Card
11 Ryan Conlon
12 Cameron Collins
not used
14 John Mills
not used
15 Isaac Jagroop
for 9 - 88 mins
16 Seegu Sebbeh Njie Yellow Card
for 11 - 67 mins
17 Todd Yahiya
for 3 - 75 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Daniel Clenton

Attendance: 134

Star Player
Jacob Sturgess

Jacob Sturgess

Chosen by match sponsor Mark Hopkins