Gresley Rovers Homepage
Next First Team Game
Belper United
3.00pm, Sat 15th May (home)
Website sponsored by Hofmeister Liga Gresley Rovers Supporters Club

Match Report  |  Gresley Rovers vs Boldmere St Michaels

Gresley Rovers  2
Kolodynski 13  |  Sullivan (pen) 73
Boldmere St Michaels  1
Sweeney 54

Midland Premier League

The Moat Ground

Tuesday, 15th September 2020, 7.45pm

Rovers Stun Table Toppers

Rovers clinched their first league triumph of the season with a thoroughly entertaining 2-1 victory over Boldmere St Michael’s.

With the 5-1 thumping dealt to them by Hanley last time out still fresh in the mind, Rovers bounced back to deliver a remarkable display of grit and determination to emerge victorious over Boldmere.

David Kolodynski pounced on an error in the first period to give the hosts the lead at half-time, despite the Mikes dominating for large periods.

Boldmere would bag a deserved equaliser in the second half through a powerful effort from full-back, Harry Sweeney, but Rovers would go on to clinch it. Paul Sullivan’s conversion from the penalty spot ultimately earning Gresley a first home league win since a 3-0 victory over Walsall Wood in December.

The game started with how it meant to go on, very frantically. Rovers had a very early chance when Kolodynski teed Sullivan up on the edge of the box, but his shot was parried by Matthew Coton.

It would only take up until the 13th minute, however, for Rovers to get their noses in front. A hopeful forward header from Andy Westwood was not dealt with by Jermaine Johnson. The centre-half could only toe poke it to David Kolodynski who showed ultimate composure in chipping Coton and opening the scoring for his side.

The goal only served to fire the away side up, though, and they pressed relentlessly for an equaliser. Some last ditch defending and good reactions from Joe Fryatt were all that kept Rovers from conceding to the Mikes.

Fryatt had to be alert to hold onto Stephen Palmer’s header, before Joe Haines did superbly to intercept a goal bound header from Daniel O’Sullivan from reaching the back of the net or the lingering Soms Sibanda.

Boldmere’s best chance to level before half-time came on the brink of the referee’s whistle. Some good play from O’Sullivan gave the winger space to cross right onto the head of Jay Denny. The Mikes’ skipper, however, could only direct his downward header wide of the near post.

Following the break, Boldmere continued their assault on the Rovers goal, but Gresley’s threat on the counter attack was still present, and it nearly paid off as Sullivan played it through to Kolodynski in the 47th minute. Yet, the winger’s first touch took him too wide and meant his shot could only be directed straight at Coton.

The home side would end up rueing this missed opportunity as the Mikes secured their equaliser in the 54th minute. Harry Sweeney, after receiving the ball on the overlap, viciously took on his shot, clipping the inside of the post as he levelled proceedings.

With the atmosphere raised a notch by Boldmere’s leveller, this translated onto the pitch as both sides pushed for a crucial winner. Stuart Hendrie had a shot comfortably saved by Fryatt before Sweeney threatened to score another goal, but this time saw his drive deflected wide of the near post.

In the 73rd minute, however, disaster would strike for the Mikes. A long punt down the field was completely misjudged by the Boldmere defence, leaving Coton to make a pressured first-time kick. The ball evaded Coton as he missed his kick, leaving Kaylum Mitchell to run through at an empty net.

Just as the substitute was about to strike, Coton, in a last ditch attempt to rescue the situation, brought Mitchell down to concede a penalty. The Rovers captain, Paul Sullivan, stepped up and sent Coton the wrong way to give Gresley the lead once more.

This time, Gresley looked stoic and determined in their task to now allow the Mikes back in the game. Kyle Batchelor came off the bench to join the impressive Haines and Frizelle, and the substitute matched their dedication as the three centre-halves won everything in the air.

Lucas Harrison was forced into a brilliant clearing header which was inches away from finding the back of his own net, and a disallowed goal with one minute of normal time remaining didn’t help Gresley’s jangling nerves.

Deep into injury time, Fryatt was also forced into a good save to his left, but Rovers ultimately managed to hold onto a vital 2-1 victory, securing their first league victory since January.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 5 5
Shots off Target 4 6
Corners 2 5
Fouls Conceded 14 11
Yellow Cards 1 4
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 50 50
Streaming Interview
Gresley Rovers
1 Joe Fryatt
2 Junior Smikle
3 Lucas Harrison
4 Andy Westwood
5 Joe Haines
6 Mason Frizelle
7 Lee Butler
8 Danny Munday Yellow Card
9 Louis Briscoe
10 Paul Sullivan (c)
11 David Kolodynski
12 Cameron Steele
not used
14 Kyle Batchelor
for 9 - 63 mins
15 Connor Ward
not used
16 Danny Holmes
for 7 - 76 mins
17 Kaylum Mitchell
for 11 - 63 mins
Boldmere St Michaels
1 Matthew Coton Yellow Card
2 Brad Lindsey
3 Harry Sweeney
4 Jay Denny (c)
5 Jermaine Johnson
6 Pedro Lima Yellow Card
7 Daniel O'Sullivan Yellow Card
8 Stephen Palmer
9 Soms Sibanda
10 Stuart Hendrie
11 Kyle Byrne
12 James Taylor
not used
14 Jordan Clarke Yellow Card
for 7 - 63 mins
15 Jack Burgess
for 8 - 70 mins
16 Kamol Campbell
not used
17 Brandon Williams
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Minesh Gupta

Attendance: 249

Star Player
Mason Frizelle

Mason Frizelle

Immense at the back along with his defensive colleagues