Gresley Rovers Homepage
Next First Team Game
Belper United
3.00pm, Sat 15th May (home)
Website sponsored by Hofmeister Liga Gresley Rovers Supporters Club

Match Report  |  Gresley Rovers vs Wellington FC

Gresley Rovers  2
Briscoe 75  |  Westwood 82
Wellington FC  0

Emirates FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

The Moat Ground

Tuesday, 1st September 2020, 7.45pm

Match Sponsor: Vickers Young

Gresley In Cup Win

Alfie Burley

Late goals from Louis Briscoe and Andy Westwood sent Gresley through to the FA Cup Preliminary Round against Wellington at the Moat.

After an eventful first half, where an injury to Wellington’s Joe Davis resulted in a 31 minute delay, Rovers managed to get over the line thanks to two late strikes.

Louis Briscoe’s 75th minute header finally broke the away side’s resistance, before Westwood sealed Gresley’s spot in the next round with a cool strike from the edge of the box.

Wellington provided Rovers with a stern test as they formed a solid defensive bloc, before proving dangerous on the counter attack. Yet, Gresley overcame them to set up a match away at Hanley Town, who were winners against Lye Town tonight.

The home side started the game brightly, dominating possession expertly, and they could have been ahead in just the fourth minute had Joe Haines directed a free header on target, but unfortunately his effort drifted past the post.

The biggest talking point of the first half, however, came when Joe Davis went down after colliding with David Kolodynski. The centre-half dislocated his elbow nastily, and it took 31 minutes as both teams deemed whether it was safe to move Davis off the pitch.

31 minutes later, play finally resumed with Davis safely off the pitch but the break in play didn’t affect Gresley’s rhythm. The home side continued to hold onto possession and should’ve been ahead when Mason Frizelle rose from a free kick, completely unmarked, only to head over the crossbar.

Wellington, however, were posing a threat themselves on the counter attack. Rovers’ first warning came when a cross from the left evaded everyone in the middle before drifting past the post.

The Wellies came even closer at the end of the first period when Sam Pearson came close to catching Joe Fryatt out whilst the goalkeeper was in no mans land, but the ‘keeper did well to get down low and save.

After a frustrating first 45, Rovers came out after the break slowly, trying too hard to force the final ball. In fact, it nearly cost them the opener when, after losing possession, Matt James was allowed to run free from Frizelle and Lansdowne before chipping a shot over the ‘keeper, only to see it go agonisingly wide.

Yet, on the hour mark, Rovers finally kicked themselves back into gear, with Lucas Harrison sending a fearsome cross into the box, with a Wellington defender forced to deflect it wide.

Haines, who was superb all evening, also proved a menace when he moved out to the left-hand side late on, and his low cross was met by Briscoe. The striker’s snapshot, however, flew over the crossbar.

This combination would prove to be the making of the opener. Joe Haines once again got the better of his marker down the left and delivered an inch-perfect cross onto the head of Briscoe who made no mistake in finishing into the bottom corner.

With the away side’s defence finally breached, Rovers began to play with more freedom and confidence, and it wasn’t long before they doubled their lead. Six minutes later, following a corner kick, Alby Lansdowne had a shot blocked before the ball fell to substitute, Westwood on the edge of the box, who dispatched into the bottom left corner.

The Wellies threw everything at their hosts in an attempt to get back into the game, and did force Lansdowne to make a superb block to deny Paul Jones. However, Rovers managed to see out the victory and move themselves on to the Preliminary Round where they will travel to Hanley Town.

Rovers play their first league match at the weekend as they welcome Racing Club Warwick to the Moat Ground.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 3 2
Shots off Target 5 5
Corners 6 1
Fouls Conceded 9 10
Yellow Cards 0 0
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 60 40
Streaming Interview
Gresley Rovers
1 Joe Fryatt
2 Junior Smikle
3 Lucas Harrison
4 Danny Holmes
5 Alby Lansdowne (c)
6 Mason Frizelle
7 Lee Butler
8 Joe Haines
9 Louis Briscoe
10 Kaylum Mitchell
11 David Kolodynski
12 Paul Sullivan
not used
14 Danny Munday
for 7 - 65 mins
15 Andy Westwood
for 11 - 79 mins
16 Cameron Steele
for 3 - 65 mins
17 Kyle Batchelor
not used
18 Keith Thomas
not used
19 Liam Kavanagh
not used
Wellington FC
1 Matthew Apperley
2 Michael Mullenger
3 Jake Robinson
4 Lewis Fletcher
5 Joe Davis
6 Jamie Price
7 Luke Griffiths
8 Sam Pearson (c)
9 Paul Jones
10 Rory Huntbach
11 Brendan Hackett
12 Matt James
for 5 - 38 mins
14 Jack Feighan
not used
15 Luke Winter
not used
16 Jordan Morris
not used
17 Stuart Davies
for 2 - 90 mins
18 Saul Thomas
for 11 - 77 mins
19 Will Perkins
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Stephen Davies

Attendance: 243

Star Player
Joe Haines

Joe Haines

Superb performance and set up the vital opening goal