Gresley Rovers Homepage
Next First Team Game
Loughborough Dynamo
1.00pm, Tomorrow (home)
Website sponsored by Hofmeister Liga Gresley Rovers Supporters Club

Match Report  |  Gresley Rovers vs Long Eaton United

Gresley Rovers  1
Munday 34
Long Eaton United  5
Graham 2  |  J Walker 22, 72  |  Marshall 30  |  K Walker 61

Midland Premier League

The Moat Ground

Saturday, 26th September 2020, 3.00pm

Rovers Stumble To Defeat

Harry Tizard

Gresley Rovers unbeaten start to the season came to an end after losing to Long Eaton United at the Moat Ground.

The visitors, who were also without a loss in the league this season, went 3-0 up in the opening 30 minutes, with headers from Romaine Graham, James Walker, and a smashed shot from Marshall separating the sides.

Danny Munday scored before the break to give the home team a chance in the match, but a second goal for Marshall and a first for Keiran Walker in the game but the match beyond the hosts.

After just two minutes, the visitors took the lead. Kieran Walker’s long-throw caused havoc in the Rovers area, with his delivery flicked on to an unmarked Romaine Graham, whose glanced header rolled past goalkeeper Joe Fryatt to open the scoring.

The home side responded well, and spent the next ten minutes in the Long Eaton half. David Kolodynski was a constant danger in-behind, with his runs causing danger. A knock-on by Kaylum Mitchell found the feet of the forward, but his shot was directed straight at ‘keeper Sam Wilson.

The Rovers couldn’t retain their dominance, with the match becoming an end-to-end affair. The next dangerous attack for the away side once again came from the long-throw, with the combination of Walker and captain Graham going close once again, before James Walker smacked the outside of the post.

Long Eaton almost doubled their advantage soon after, with Gresley struggling to deal with the aerial presence of their opposition. A ball into the box found Graham, who headered the ball against the top of the crossbar.

The Rovers struggled to withstand the pressure, and conceded a second headed goal halfway through the first half. Mitchell Robinson whipped the ball from the left-hand side, with his cross met by the head of Walker, who directed the ball across the goal and into the bottom corner.

It was made three soon after. The long thrown found the feet of Alex Marshall after bobbling round the box. Unmarked at the back-post, the striker smashed the ball down the centre of the goal from close in, scoring his seventh goal in two games.

Gresley responded well, and forced Wilson into a strong save. Just a minute after conceding their third, Louis Briscoe played the ball into Danny Munday, who struck the ball from just outside the box, forcing the ‘keeper to push the ball over the bar.

The home side gained momentum, and made it 3-1 ten minutes before the break. Going close minutes before, Munday went one better, heading a Lucas Harrison free-kick into the far corner.

The last chance of the half fell to Long Eaton, with a fantastic save from Fryatt keeping the deficit at just two goals. Finding acres of space inside the area, it was Graham once again with the chance. A long ball into the box found the head of the defender, whose looped attempt was pushed over the bar by the ‘keeper.

The second half started at at a slower pace than that of the first, with the opening opportunity coming ten minutes after the restart. A vicious volley from Louis Briscoe from a tight angle flew just over, before a shot from Walker sailed over the bar for Long Eaton moments later.

On the hour mark, the away side regained their three goal advantage, with Keiran Walker the scorer. A high ball into the area found the head of James Walker, who, instead of shooting himself, nodded the ball across to the number 6, who tapped the ball in from inside the six-yard box.

James Walker then turned from provider into the scorer. Unmarked at the back post, the winger found space on the left-hand side, and rifled the ball past Fryatt to make it 5-1.

The away side continued to press Gresley into their own half, but were unable to extended their advantage, with the final score ending 5-1 in favour of the away side.

The loss was their first league defeat of the season, with the home side previously unbeaten in their last three winning two and drawing one.

The win for Long Eaton was their third on the road in the league this season, with the away side collecting nine points out of a possible nine, scoring 19 in the process, and conceding just one.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 4 8
Shots off Target 3 6
Corners 5 5
Fouls Conceded 8 8
Yellow Cards 1 1
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 45 55
Streaming Interview
Gresley Rovers
1 Joe Fryatt
2 Junior Smikle
3 Lucas Harrison (c)
4 Andy Westwood
5 Joe Haines
6 Mason Frizelle
7 Kyle Batchelor
8 Danny Munday
9 Louis Briscoe
10 Kaylum Mitchell
11 David Kolodynski
12 Alby Lansdowne
for 10 - 46 mins
14 Keith Thomas
not used
15 Aaron Cole Yellow Card
for 7 - 67 mins
16 Jack Cresswell
for 4 - 67 mins
17 Connor Ward
not used
Long Eaton United
1 Sam Wilson
2 Brad Wilson Yellow Card
3 Paolo Piliero
4 Mitchell Robinson
5 Romaine Gordon (c)
6 Kieran Walker
7 James Taylor
8 Danny Gordon
9 Alex Marshall
10 Charlie Wilde
11 James Walker
12 Barloz Korzeniewski
for 10 - 87 mins
14 Matt Baker
not used
15 Jordan Wheatley
for 4 - 74 mins
16 Jude Brittain
not used
17 James Shaw
for 7 - 81 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Ben Stott

Attendance: 300

Star Player
Joe Haines

Joe Haines

Kept trying hard to push his side forward