Gresley Rovers Homepage
Next First Team Game
Bromsgrove Sporting
3.00pm, Sat 9th Jul (home)
Website sponsored by Hofmeister Liga Gresley Rovers Supporters Club

Match Report  |  Gresley Rovers vs AFC Wulfrunians

Gresley Rovers  0
AFC Wulfrunians  3
? 14  |  ? 40  |  ? 62

Pre-Season Friendly

The Moat Ground

Tuesday, 20th July 2021, 7.45pm

Friendly Defeat For Rovers

Alfie Burley

Gresley Rovers suffered their first defeat in their pre-season schedule when AFC Wulfrunians put three past them at the Moat Ground on Tuesday night.

A disjointed performance was a stark contrast to their 4-1 win at the weekend, perhaps highlighting the fact Rovers are two weeks behind in their preparations for the new season.

Two cool finishes on the counter-attack put Rovers 2-0 behind at the half-time interval, and the game was wrapped up by the visitors when a mistake at the back allowed the Wulfrunians forward free reign at the Gresley goal.

The game started off slowly as both sides got to grips with each other on another scorching hot day, but it was the away side who were making more dangerous in-roads into the Gresley half.

A dangerous free kick swung in from the left nearly resulted in the Wulfs taking the lead as a flicked attempt at the near post left Feeney rooted, but the goalkeeper was grateful to see the
ball whistle over the crossbar.

It wouldn’t be long before Wulfrunians’ bright attacking play put them in the lead. With just 14 minutes gone, Rovers were caught out on the counter-attack.

After escaping down the left-hand
side, the ball was powered across the box by the away side’s winger, with the ball landing straight at the feet of number 11 who smashed the ball home from close range.

Gresley, to their credit, did their utmost to produce a response, they came close when Ben Prince volleyed a lofted cross towards goal, only for the goalkeeper to reach the ball before the lurking Danny Munday could get his toe to it.

However, the dangerous play from the influential Wulfrunians player donning the number 12 continued to cause Gresley problems, and the home side couldn’t prevent their opponents from taking a two-goal lead into the break.

Once again, on the counter-attack, Wulfrunians were quick and lethal, number nine this time found himself with space down the left and skipped past a couple of challenges before finding the bottom corner.

In the second half, Rovers began with more intent - determined to get themselves back into the game, but they were still struggling to fashion out clear-cut chances.

Truthfully, the second period was one of very few chances, and Wulfrunians’ third goal came, seemingly, out of nowhere. A mistake at the back allowed the away side forward to have the freedom of Gresley as he confidently found the bottom corner.

With the game now out of reach, Rovers never really looked like staging a comeback, despite the bright sparks produced by substitute Antonio Wedderburn.

Gresley Rovers
1 Lewis Fenny
2 Cameron Steele
12 Ben Prince
4 Alby Lansdowne
22 Alex Morris
6 Ashley Brown (c)
7 Connor Ward
11 Josh Burniston
13 Steve Hart
21 Danny Munday
9 Kane Lee
3 Mason Frizelle
8 Trialist B
14 Louis Briscoe
15 Riley Crawley
17 Antonio Wedderburn
19 Trialist A
20 Danny Holmes
27 Kelvin Kasongo
28 Trialist C
31 Charlie Leeke (GK)
Other Match Info

Attendance: 141