Gresley Rovers Homepage
Next First Team Game
Bromsgrove Sporting
3.00pm, Sat 9th Jul (home)
Website sponsored by Hofmeister Liga Gresley Rovers Supporters Club

Match Report  |  Quorn vs Gresley Rovers

Quorn  1
Hearn (pen) 55
Gresley Rovers  2
Seal (pen) 34  |  Reid 78

United Counties Premier Division North

The Farley Way Stadium, Quarn

Saturday, 6th November 2021, 3.00pm

Ten Men Rovers Take All The Points

Harry Tizard

A thunderous volley from substitute Izak Reid helped 10-man Gresley to a hard-fought 2-1 victory against Quorn at the Farley Way Stadium.

Ryan Seal converted a penalty to give the Moatmen the lead after Lewis Fenney saved Kyle Bryant’s spot-kick earlier in the first-half.

Alex Morris, who conceded the first penalty after pushing Bryant, saw red in the 54th minute, with the referee deeming that the defender blocked James Cullingworth’s shot with his arm inside the box.

Liam Hearn converted the shot from 12-yards, starting what was a period of pressure on the Rovers defence.

However, a mixture of fine defending from Gresley and wastefulness by the Quorn attack meant the score remained level until late on, with Reid crashing the ball into the net to win the game for Gresley.

Under new manager Richard Lavery, Quorn had new found energy and urgency, looking to reignite a league season that has seen them sit down in 16th before the start of the game.

Probing for the opener in the first 10 minutes, the home side restricted Gresley’s potent attacking arsenal, pinning them into their own half.

Causing chaos without fearing Fenney’s goal, Quorn had a chance to make their early control of the game pay through the penalty spot.

After Alex Morris was adjudged to have pushed Kyle Bryant in the box, the winner of the spot-kick turned taker, but saw his effort palmed away by Fenney.

Quorn’s momentum was halted, with the tide of the game going in the direction of Gresley.

Seal and Hart both had efforts caught well by Max Culverwell, but Gresley found a breakthrough just past the half-hour mark.

Rushing off his line to collect a loose ball in the box, the ‘keeper was beaten to it by Kane Lee, bundling into the forward in the process.

For the second time in the half, the referee pointed to the spot. Seal, who was forced to re-take the penalty after Danny Munday infringed the box, picked out the opposite corner with his second attempt, smashing the ball into the net.

The second-half began the same as the first. Quorn were on top and looked to be the team most likely to score. With just four goals in their previous six games, converting their chances had been a recurring problem for the home side.

Once again, as the clock ticked towards the tenth minute of the half, Quorn were awarded a penalty.

Morris was penalised once again, this time for blocking Cullingworth’s goal-bound shot with his arm ¿1/2" seeing red for the offence,
Bryant was replaced by Hearn on penalty duty, with the striker sending Fenney the wrong way to level the score.

Hart had a shot blocked off the line after Culverwell was caught in possession outside the area soon after the goal, but what followed was a current of relentless attacks.
Jack Samples was the first to go close. Unleashing a shot on the edge of the box, his deflected effort was pushed away by Fenney, with the following cross smashed clear by a covering Lansdowne.

Jordan Clarke then had a tame effort collected by the ‘keeper, before turning provider to Tawanda Mangondoza, who could also only find the gloves of the ‘keeper.

Dan Tuck was then denied by a resolute Fenney before Quorn’s domination reached a point of culmination. Mangondoza dispossessed Lansdowne in Gresley’s defensive third, sliding through goal scorer Hearn.
With the entire goal at his mercy, the forward leant back, curling the ball well over the crossbar.

The miss proved costly for Quorn, with Gresley going ahead for the second time against the run of play. Flung into the box by the long throw of Lansdowne, the ball was knocked on by centre-back partner Mason Frizelle.

Off the bench, Reid found space at the back post, emerging from the crowd, and rifling a winning volley past Culverwell.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 7 6
Shots off Target 1 3
Corners 1 3
Fouls Conceded 12 10
Yellow Cards 1 1
Red Cards 1 0
Possession (%) 50 50
Streaming Interview
1 Max Culverwell
2 Matt Dawson
3 Harry Clibbers
4 Leavi Oshungbure (c)
5 Kyle Bryant
6 Jack Samples Yellow Card
7 Jordan Clarke
8 James Cullingworth
9 Liam Hearn
10 Dan Tuck
11 Tawanda Mangondoza
12 Joe O'Neill
for 7 - 79 mins
14 Chib Chulaka
for 10 - 74 mins
15 Jordan Burns
for 2 - 84 mins
16 Lewis Edwards
not used
Gresley Rovers
1 Lewis Fenney
2 George Clark
3 Lucas Harrison
4 Alby Lansdowne
5 Mason Frizelle
22 Alex Morris Red Card
17 Michael Williams Yellow Card
8 Ryan Seal (c)
9 Kane Lee
13 Steve Hart
21 Danny Munday
20 Louis Briscoe
7 Connor Ward
not used
10 Izak Reid
for 13 - 68 mins
11 Corey Bucalossi
for 9 - 79 mins
14 Richard Whyman
for 8 - 68 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Dominic Chambers

Attendance: 204

Star Player
Lewis Fenney

Lewis Fenney

Another good performance especially the penalty save.