Gresley Rovers Homepage
Next First Team Game
Bromsgrove Sporting
3.00pm, Sat 9th Jul (home)
Website sponsored by Hofmeister Liga Gresley Rovers Supporters Club

Match Report  |  Gresley Rovers vs Anstey Nomads

Gresley Rovers  2
Munday 59  |  Lee 75
Anstey Nomads  1
Reeve 10

United Counties Premier Division North

The Moat Ground

Tuesday, 9th November 2021, 7.45pm

Match Sponsor: In Memory of Jack Gallagher

Rovers See Off The Nomads

Harry Tizard

Gresley Rovers moved into second place in the UCL Premier League North after a 2-1 victory against fellow title contenders Anstey Nomads.

Second-half headers from Danny Munday and substitute Kane Lee helped the Rovers complete the comeback in front of a bumper crowd, with Michael Reeve’s strike on the 10th minute giving the visitors the lead.

Defending well after going ahead, two yellows in quick succession for Anstey’s Rhys Dolan helped turn the hosts control of the game into domination, with a handful of saves from goalkeeper Conrad Logan delaying an inevitable Gresley goal.

Despite the game being delayed due to floodlight issues, Gresley showed no signs of rustiness and were on top from the start. Steve Hart’s early through ball found Izak Reid, who was recalled to the starting eleven after a winning goal on Saturday afternoon, but the winger blazed his effort over from close range.

The Moatmen were put under little pressure in the opening 10 minutes, but a goal against the run of play from in-form striker Reeve put the away side ahead. A ball flung into the box from the halfway line could only be cleared as far as the forward, who hammered a half-volley into the top corner.

Gresley responded well with a flurry of chances after falling behind. After referee Tom Bingley waved away a penalty claim when Reid seemed to have been barged in the area, the Rovers’ number 10 then had an opportunity one-on-one with Logan.

Played in over the top by Alby Lansdowne down the left, Reid scuffed his shot, with the former Mansfield ‘keeper collecting the tame strike.

After Hart then had a portion of the crowd celebrating after caressing the side netting from the edge of the box, it was Seal who was the next to be denied an equaliser by Logan.
Setting up a free kick from the left of the box, the captain’s curling effort was clawed away for a corner by the Irishman.

Seal then turned creator from the following set-piece, whipping a cross onto the head of Lansdowne, but his goal-bound header was blocked and cleared away.

As the first half was petering out, Anstey were reduced to 10-men. Two yellows in quick succession saw Dolan given his marching orders, with both challenges on right-back George Clark halting a counterattack.

The away side sat deep and frustrated Gresley. The Moatmen struggled to create openings, with their sole chance in the opening 10 minutes falling to Hart, whose low drive rolled straight into the palms of the ‘keeper.

It took until the stroke of the hour for Gresley to find an equaliser. Attacking from the opposition corner, Reid’s cross-field pass found an onrushing Seal, who then chipped the ball into the box to Munday.
Escaping from his marker, Munday’s initial header looped into the air, with his second attempt lobbing Logan and finding the back of the net.

Full control of the game followed for Gresley, with a change of formation and the introduction of Lee at the heart of the attacking impetus.

The substitute first reacted to a poor clearance, with his deflected strike from a tight angle smashing the base of the post, before finding the back of the net just three minutes later.

Belting down the left-flank, Hart’s flicked ball found an underlapping Munday bursting beyond him. Driving down the wing, his whipped cross found the head of the forward, who lost his man and powered it past Logan at the near post.

In the ascendancy, Gresley had no intention of sitting back and defending their lead. Hart, who had a rare game without a goal against Quorn, saw a shot bounce past the post after his long-distance effort beat a stranded Logan who rushed out to the ball.

Scoring once after coming off the bench, Lee saw his shot moments later whistle past the same post. Hart was at the centre of the attack again, shifting the ball onto his right foot inside the box and rifling his effort against the ‘keeper. Lee followed up on the rebound, striking wide.

Fellow substitute Louis Briscoe then almost wrapped up the game in stoppage time. Darting away from the defence, the striker attempted to place his shot round Logan, but Anstey’s shot-stopper pushed his effort wide, starting a late attacking surge from the visitors.

First, it was Corey Armeni who lashed the ball over the bar after Alex Morris cleared the ball to his feet before Billy Blackshaw had the final chance. Late in added time, his attempt from outside the box went through a host of Gresley defenders before being palmed away by a diving Fenney.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 6 3
Shots off Target 6 5
Corners 5 2
Fouls Conceded 14 10
Yellow Cards 1 4
Red Cards 0 1
Possession (%) 60 40
Streaming Interview
Gresley Rovers
1 Lewis Fenney
2 George Clark
3 Lucas Harrison
4 Alby Lansdowne
5 Mason Frizelle
22 Alex Morris
17 Michael Williams
8 Ryan Seal (c)
10 Izak Reid Yellow Card
13 Steve Hart
21 Danny Munday
6 Ashley Brown
not used
7 Connor Ward
not used
9 Kane Lee
for 4 - 45 mins
11 Corey Bucalossi
not used
20 Louis Briscoe
for 3 - 66 mins
Anstey Nomads
1 Conrad Logan
2 Ben Bayliss
3 Joel Wolfe
4 Jamie Chisolm
5 Jordan Annable
6 Billy Blackshaw
7 Corey Armeni
8 Henry Bestwick Yellow Card
9 Michael Reeve (c)
10 Rhys Dolan Yellow Card Yellow Card Red Card
11 Klarke Greenham
12 Connor Brown-Wingfield
for 6 - 80 mins
14 Jozeyf Keaveny
for 16 - 54 mins
15 Declan O'Hare
not used
16 Jack Hall Yellow Card
for 11 - 46 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Tom Bingley

Attendance: 469

Star Player
George Clark

George Clark

Solid in defence and going forward despite some dubious tackles from his opponents