Gresley Rovers Homepage
Website sponsored by Hofmeister Liga Gresley Rovers Supporters Club

Match Report  |  Gresley Rovers vs Holbeach United

Gresley Rovers  5
Frizelle 8  |  Brennan 17,75  |  J Harrison 26  |  Munday 82
Holbeach United  2
Wirkowski (pen) 30  |  Camfield 32

United Counties Premier Division North

The Moat Ground

Saturday, 26th March 2022, 3.00pm

Match Sponsor: Alfie Burley

Brennan Brace Helps Rovers To The Points

Harry Tizard

Gresley Rovers moved within seven points of league leaders Long Eaton United with three games in hand after defeating Holbeach United 5-2 at the Moat Ground.

Goals from Mason Frizelle, Shay Brennan and James Harrison gave the Rovers what seemed to be a comfortable lead inside the opening 25 minutes before the visitors fought back with two goals of their own.

Three minutes after conceding their third, a penalty from Harvey Wirkowski and a header from Ethan Camfield inside the space of four minutes reduced the Moatmen’s advantage to one.

However, Danny Cliffton’s side were unable to complete an unlikely comeback, with second-half strikes from Brennan and substitute Danny Munday ending any hopes of a positive result for the Tigers.

The Moatmen rested key figures from their starting 11, with Danny Munday, Alex Morris, Jordan Gough and Michael Williams all on the bench, but such rotation had little impact early on.

Pinning Holbeach into their own third, the hosts broke the deadlock inside the first eight minutes. Taking advantage of Alby Lansdowne’s long-throw, Brennan’s original effort was fumbled by ‘keeper Brad Waters, with defender Frizelle the quickest to react to poke in the rebound.

Involved in the opener, Brennan then had a shot saved at close range before seeing the ball go just inches past his unmarked foot at the back-post before slamming home his first for the club.

Knocked into his path by Frizelle, Brennan’s first-time half-volley just inside the box flew into the top corner to score what was the goal of the game.

The striker, who was making his home debut, then set up the Moatmen’s third goal inside the first 25 minutes. Holding up a quick free-kick that was played over the top of the defence, the former Aylestone Park man squared the ball into the path of Harrison, who tapped in with his second attempt after originally hitting the post.

Cruising in the fixture, Gresley relinquished their control of the match just moments after scoring their third, conceding twice in quick succession.

First conceding from the penalty spot, with Wirkowski sending Lewis Fenney the wrong way from 12 yards, it was Camfield who added the second to put the pressure on the home side.
Rising highest, the midfielder nodded in the cross from the right-wing, with the ball evading the gloves of the Gresley 'keeper and sailing into the top corner.

Heading into half-time with a slender advantage, Izak Reid went close to stretching the Moatmen’s lead back to two goals with the last kick of the first 45 minutes.

Sprinting behind the defence, his strike across goal rebounded off a defender, with the visitors fortunate that the ball fell into the gloves of Waters rather than into the net.

The break gave the Moatmen much-needed respite, with Gresley wrestling back control of the game early on in the second-half.

George Clark was the first to fire towards the Holbeach goal, with his dipping volley from outside the box bouncing off the top of the crossbar.

Kane Lee then saw his cross-cum-shot from the left clawed off the line by a backtracking Waters, with Reid’s strike from the edge also pushed wide by the ‘keeper.

Doing everything but score in the opening 15 minutes of the half, Carl Abbott made a triple substitution in an attempt to find a fourth.

Munday almost made an immediate impact after being released from his place on the bench, flicking the ball into the path of Brennan who fired the ball straight at the ‘keeper.

Clark then forced Waters into making a smart save at his near post after making a lung-busting run down the right before Munday had a golden opportunity.

Left unmarked at the back post, a floated ball across the box fell to the striker, but he could only direct the ball onto the bar.

For all their domination, there was still a level of tension around the Moat, with any worries of an improbable Holbeach comeback quashed by Brennan with just over 10 minutes to go.

Making the most of a defensive mishap, with Waters unable to claim the ball when rushing out of his goal, the Gresley striker was able to gain possession of the loose ball and run it into an empty net.

Denied by the woodwork as well as the ‘keeper after coming on, Munday finally found the net just minutes after Brennan’s second of the game to confirm the victory.

Rushing through the middle of the Holbeach defence, the attacker collected possession before lobbing Waters who was rushing towards him.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 14 2
Shots off Target 5 1
Corners 12 2
Fouls Conceded 9 4
Yellow Cards 0 1
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 60 40
Streaming Interview
Gresley Rovers
1 Lewis Fenney
2 George Clark
3 Lucas Harrison
4 Alby Lansdowne
5 Mason Frizelle
19 James Harrison
7 Shay Brennan
8 Ryan Seal (c)
9 Kane Lee
10 Izak Reid
11 Corey Bucalossi
17 Michael Williams
for 3 - 59 mins
18 Jordi Gough
not used
21 Danny Munday
for 9 - 59 mins
22 Alex Morris
not used
23 Niall Towle
for 19 - 59 mins
Holbeach United
1 Brad Waters
2 Sam Carter Yellow Card
3 Josh Wilson
4 Kane Gilbert
5 Will Nuttell
6 George Warrington (c)
7 Loui Catt
8 Ethan Camfield
9 Sam Harris
10 Harvey Wirkowski
11 Viliam Radic
12 Zac Chaudhari
for 7 - 78 mins
14 Josh Simpson
for 6 - 70 mins
15 Bailey Clifton (GK)
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: James Tewson

Attendance: 450

Star Player

Shay Brennan

Scored two great goals on his home debut