Gresley Rovers Homepage
Website sponsored by Hofmeister Liga Gresley Rovers Supporters Club

Match Report  |  Long Eaton United vs Gresley Rovers

Long Eaton United  2
Fyfe 2, 19
Gresley Rovers  0

United Counties Premier Division North

Grange Park, Long Eaton

Monday, 18th April 2022, 3.00pm

It Wasn't To Be

Harry Tizard

Long Eaton United were crowned as champions of the UCL Premier Division North on Easter Monday after an impressive 2-0 win against second-placed Gresley Rovers at Grange Park.

Both having impressive seasons, with the two teams losing just once in the league with identical records, the final day was set up perfectly for a winner takes all match.

Looking for someone to be the hero for their side, it was Reece Fyfe who stole the headlines, with two first-half goals giving the home team a much-deserved victory with the Moatmen second-best.

Although Gresley started quickly knowing only a victory would see them lift the title, with long balls to Steve Hart and Shay Brennan having to be smartly mopped up by ‘keeper Sam Wilson, it was the hosts who took the lead.

Countering from a long throw, leaving three men forward, Jamie Walker’s smart through ball found the onrushing Fyfe, who slotted the ball under Lewis Fenney with composure.

Captain Mitchel Robinson then went close to finding a second before Gresley had their first real scoring opportunity.

Winning a free-kick just outside the box, Hart shaped to shoot before laying the ball off to Ryan Seal, but his attempt was tame and collected with ease by Wilson on the second attempt.

The Moatmen were pushing to change the tide of the game, but with Long Eaton in the ascendancy, they found it difficult to shift any sort of momentum in their favour.

As such, it was the hosts who doubled the lead before the 20th minute, finding the net in a familiar fashion to how they have scored most of their goals this season.

Flung into the box by Kieran Walker, the defender's long throw was flicked on by Robison and nodded in at the back post by Fyfe, scoring his second of the game.

With confidence flowing through the league leaders, they almost put the game beyond the visitors before a third of the match was even played.

Another Walker thrown from the right caused havoc in the box, with the ball dropping to Fyfe, who lashed a shot over from close range.

Usually composed on the ball and dangerous in attack, the Rovers’ lacked the qualities that had seen them promoted with two games remaining of the season.

Pressed well by the energetic Long Eaton, Gresley were forced to play the ball long, with the bobbly surface also causing issues when trying to keep the ball on the floor.

A half-volley straight into the hands of Seal just past the half-hour mark was as close as the Moatmen got before Long Eaton attacked with menace once again.

Robinson first rose highest to connect with a cross from the left, nodding just over, with Alex Marshall then getting his first opening of the match.

Free on the edge, the strikers swiveling shot sailed well over.

Gresley needed the half-time whistle to rest and rejuvenate after a difficult opening 45 minutes, but it was Long Eaton who looked the most threatening early on.

Similar to the first-half, it was Fyfe at the heart of the attack, with his header inside the box cleared off the line by Michael Williams.
Impressive in the run-in, making a game-changing impact against Anstey Nomads as well as scoring against Heanor Town and Loughborough Students, Kane Lee struggled to have a similar impact against Long Eaton.

Having his first shot of the game just before the hour, his low drive rolled just wide of the post.

Attacks were few and far between for Gresley, whereas the hosts went forward with regularity and always looked like scoring.

Counterattacking with pace, Kameron Campbell darted off the wing, ignoring incoming teammates and going alone. Tackled inside the area, the loose ball bobbled to the feet of Marshall, with his effort blocked out for a corner.

As the game neared its conclusion, clever gamesmanship from Long Eaton helped tick down the clock, with the match fizzling out rather than having an electric ending.

Winning 28 games out of a possible 34, Long Eaton were handed the title with an impressive 89 points.

Despite final day disappointment, Gresley will be proud of the season that they had, finishing second and also gaining promotion alongside the team that beat them.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 2 4
Shots off Target 4 7
Corners 2 5
Fouls Conceded 15 10
Yellow Cards 2 3
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 45 55
Long Eaton United
1 Sam Wilson
2 Brad Wilson Yellow Card
3 Sam Parker
4 Danny Gordon
5 Kieran Walker
6 Michael Robinson (c) Yellow Card
7 Kam Campbell
8 Tom Marshall
9 Alex Marshall
10 Reece Fyfe
11 Jamie Walker Yellow Card
12 Larell King
not used
14 Marley Fearon
not used
15 Romaine Graham
for 7 - 94 mins
16 Ben Hutchinson
for 9 - 86 mins
17 James Shaw
for 10 - 70 mins
Gresley Rovers
1 Lewis Fenney
2 George Clark Yellow Card
6 Levi Reid
4 Alby Lansdowne
5 Mason Frizelle
14 Niall Towle
7 Shay Brennan
8 Ryan Seal (c)
9 Kane Lee
13 Steve Hart
17 Michael Williams Yellow Card
3 Lucas Harrison
not used
19 James Harrison
for 9 - 62 mins
20 Louis Briscoe
for 6 - 62 mins
21 Danny Munday
not used
23 Archie Woodhall
for 8 - 62 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Phil Carey

Attendance: 1368

Star Player
Mason Frizelle

Mason Frizelle

Stout defending under pressure. Chosen by secretary Ian Collins