Gresley Rovers Homepage
Next First Team Game
Coalville Town
7.30pm, Fri 5th Jul (away)
Website sponsored by Gaskell Safety

Match Report  |  Stamford AFC vs Gresley Rovers

Stamford AFC  1
Vince 3
Gresley Rovers  1
Lansdowne 27

Northern Premier League Midlands

The Zeeco Stadium, Stamford

Saturday, 27th August 2022, 3.00pm

Rovers Make A Point

Alfie Burley

Gresley Rovers collected their first point on the road this season with a hard-fought point against promotion favourites Stamford.

Having lost out to stiff opposition in Halesowen Town on Tuesday, Rovers managed to hold out for a valuable point against opponents who had held a perfect record going into the match.

A slow start saw Stamford take an early lead with Harry Vince finding the bottom corner from just outside the box.

Yet Rovers responded quickly for the second straight match. This time Alby Lansdowne profited from some hesitant defending from the hosts, the midfielder instinctively thumping a half-volley past the goalkeeper.

With just three minutes on the clock Rovers were already behind. Gresley’s defence was static as Stamford played their way into the attacking third, with the ball eventually falling to Vince who punished the away side’s slow start.

Rovers responded positively however and were unlucky to not equalise as Kieran Wells curled just over following a mistake from Ben Heath.

Jordi Gough also saw his shot parried whilst Lansdowne flicked a header inches wide.

Lansdowne would have a second chance to level proceedings, and this time converted. A free kick into the box was not dealt with by Stamford’s defence, allowing the ball to drop kindly to Lansdowne who duly found the bottom corner.

Michael Williams nearly put Gresley into the lead, but his powerful header from Wells’ delivery was just over.

With half-time moments away Stamford nearly dealt Rovers with a sucker punch, but after cutting onto his left foot, Cameron Johnson curled just wide of Lewis Fenney’s goal.

After the break, Rovers had their best chance to take the lead in the 53rd minute, but Lansdowne was unable to get his and Gresley’s second with his close-range strike being blocked on the goal-line.

For much of the second half however, Stamford dominated possession and bombarded Rovers with multiple set pieces, but despite a few headers coming close, Gresley managed to keep their hosts at bay.

With Stamford increasing their pressure within the last ten minutes, Mason Frizelle was forced into a goal-saving block brilliantly denying Jack Duffy in the box.

Fenney also had to save Rovers before the match ended, the ‘keeper getting out quickly to snuff out an opportunity at the back post.

Ultimately Rovers held out for a deserved point against a side that had started the season in unbeatable form.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 4 4
Shots off Target 4 4
Corners 1 8
Fouls Conceded 7 6
Yellow Cards 2 2
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 48 52
Streaming Interview
Stamford AFC
1 Ben Heath
2 Joe Burgess
3 Connor Bartle Yellow Card
6 James Blunden
5 Sean Wright (c)
4 Harry Vince
7 Robert Morgan
8 Jake Duffy
9 Jack Duffy Yellow Card
10 Jonathan Margetts
11 Cameron Johnson
12 Michael Armstrong
for 2 - 69 mins
14 Kern Miller
not used
15 Connor Furey
for 11 - 59 mins
16 Michael Frew
not used
17 Will Mellors-Blair
for 10 - 86 mins
Gresley Rovers
1 Lewis Fenney
2 Tyler Donaldson
3 Jordi Gough
4 Alby Lansdowne
5 Mason Frizelle
6 Alex Morris
7 Ellis Evans
8 Michael Williams
9 Kieran Wells (c)
10 James Harrison
11 Kane Lee
12 Brandon Patterson
not used
15 Levi Reid Yellow Card
for 11 - 59 mins
16 Niall Towle
not used
17 Kai Moore
for 9 - 86 mins
18 Jordan Francis Yellow Card
for 10 - 59 mins
Other Match Info

Referee: Shaun Barry

Attendance: 385

Star Player
Lewis Fenney

Lewis Fenney

Alongside his team mates he worked very hard against a good attacking side