Gresley Rovers Homepage
Next First Team Game
Corby Town
3.00pm, Sat 27th Apr (away)
Website sponsored by Gaskell Safety

Match Report  |  Atherstone Town vs Gresley Rovers

Atherstone Town  2
Tom Smith 28  |  Jes Adcock 57
Gresley Rovers  0

Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round

Sheepy Lane, Atherstone

Saturday, 19th August 2023, 3.00pm

Adders Bite Stings Rovers

Rovers’ manager Carl Abbott was furious after seeing his side exit the FA Cup against Atherstone Town for the second season. “It was atrocious, I didn’t recognise that team!”

It’s been 7 years since Rovers made it past the Preliminary rounds when they beat Loughborough University 4-1 to move into the First Qualifying Round in August 2016.

They were beaten by a side who looked from the start that they wanted to win the game much more than their visitors and by the time the Adders second goal went in Rovers looked a well beaten side.

With a very brisk wind at their backs Atherstone started on the front foot with a half chance being blocked on 11 minutes. Anther chance came 10 minutes later but this time the effort was well off the mark.

Rovers’ first effort came on 25 minutes with Ste Hart firing a shot which was deflected and straight to the home keeper.

Some poor defending resulted in the Adders taking the lead. The ball was lost just on the halfway line and after some swift passing Tom Smith fired a low shot through a crowed Rovers area beating Lewis Fenney.

Rovers were struggling to find each other with the passes resulting in them losing the ball in dangerous areas giving Atherstone plenty of possession in midfield and enabling them to pressurise Rovers.

The first proper shot on target from Rovers came almost on the stroke of halftime with Alby Lansdowne’s shot from distance having to be acrobatically tipped over his bar by Carl O’Neill.

Rovers made three changes at the break with Tyler Smith, George Clark and Dexter Dudley-Toole replacing James Spruce, Tyler Donaldson and Jaden Forrester respectively to try and get them back into the game.

If the travelling Rovers faithful were hoping that having the breeze at their backs things could change in their favour, but they were to be bitterly disappointed as the home side continued to dominate the proceedings making full use of the conditions.

The second half was only 4 minutes old when Jes Alcock tried his luck with a shot which whistled over the bar but he only had to wait a further 8 minutes to double his side’s advantage smashing the ball home.

It was no more than they deserved and despite Tague forcing a good block at the near post from the keeper, Atherstone’s goal was rarely threatened and indeed they could have added to Rovers’ misery when substitute Harry Jackson found himself in on goal but was denied by a great save from Fenney rushing off his line.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 4 4
Shots off Target 4 4
Corners 6 7
Fouls Conceded 11 8
Yellow Cards 3 0
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 45 55
Streaming Interview
Atherstone Town
1 Carl O'Neill
2 Lewis Noon
3 Connor Gudger (c)
4 Brady Floyd
5 Callum Rudd
6 Nathan Astill
7 Sonny Parsons
8 James Matthews
9 Jake Brown
10 Jes Adcock
11 Tom Smith
12 Cory Alcock
not used
14 Sam Belcher
not used
15 Oliver Bradshaw
not used
16 Chris Cowley
for 7 - 45 mins
17 Harry Jackson
for 11 - 70 mins
18 Dylan Mills
not used
19 Leo Kelly
for 9 - 64 mins
Gresley Rovers
1 Lewis Fenney
2 Tyler Donaldson
3 Riley Davoile Yellow Card
4 Jayden Cotterill
5 Mason Frizelle (c)
6 Alby Lansdowne Yellow Card
7 Bradley Maslen-Jones
8 James Spruce Yellow Card
9 Jaden Forrester
10 Ste Hart
11 James Tague
12 George Clark
for 2 - 46 mins
14 Dexter Dudley-Toole
for 9 - 46 mins
15 Lewis Belgrave
not used
16 Kane Lee
not used
17 Tyler Smith
for 8 - 46 mins
18 Dylan Hunniford
not used
19 Jordan Edwards
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Daniel Ghent

Attendance: 416

Star Player
Mason Frizelle

Mason Frizelle

One of just a few who could be singled out with any credit