Gresley Rovers Homepage
Next First Team Game
Boston Town
3.00pm, Sat 27th Jul (home)
Website sponsored by Gaskell Safety

Match Report  |  Long Eaton United vs Gresley Rovers

Long Eaton United  2  (5)
Moore 31  |  Wright 57
Gresley Rovers  2  (4)
Banton 34  |  O'Connell 74

Derbyshire Senior Cup Quarter Final

Grange Park, Long Eaton

Tuesday, 9th January 2024, 7.45pm

Rovers Senior Cup Exit

Rovers slipped out of the Derbyshire Senior Cup despite one of their best performances of the season so far and outplaying their higher league hosts for much of the game.

Playing on a soft surface and in an icy breeze Rovers played some of their best football and could easily been at least three goals up at the break as they created several good chances.

There were three changes to the starting line-up from Saturday’s game at Rushden. Missing were Chris Jones, John King and Cameron Gilbert with Jayden Cotterill, Martin Smyth and Nathan Banton all starting.

Rovers started well and after just 7 minutes a corner from the right was headed goalwards by John Guy, at the back post, and was unlucky to see his effort hit the bar with the resulting loose ball crossed and headed wide.

United’s first chance came on 24 minutes when a half clearance by Rovers keeper Louie Turner landing at the feet of Jack Rogers who raced forward before hitting a shot which Turner saved diving to his right.

Minutes later O’Connell carved out a half chance, but his shot was straight at home keeper Ross Durrant. Another good move down the left involved Dylan Hunniford who cleverly flicked the ball to Jamie Sleigh who in turn returned the ball to Hunniford. His ball picked out Jack Tyson but his shot was blocked.

United took the lead on 31 minutes when the referee played advantage after a slip by a defender. Rogers took advantage and found Prestyn Moore who had time to pick his spot firing the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.

Rovers went close to levelling two minutes later when a high ball into the area was contested by both Durrant and O’Connell with the later getting his head to the ball but saw it sail past the post.

However, the visitors didn’t miss their next change. Another good move down the left ended with Tyson slipping the ball to Banton who curled his shot into the top far corner - a great goal. It was no more than the visitors deserved and they could have added another goal moments later with Sleigh finding Tyson but again the final shot was at Durrant.

As the half was drawing to a close, Hunniford hit a powerful shot from distance which Durrant did well to deal with. Rovers thought they had taken the lead almost on the stroke of half time when another super move down the left between Hunniford and Banton saw a great ball into the area which O’Connell smashed into the net from close in only for the celebrations to be cut short by the raised flag of the assistant referee. It was a very close offside decision though.

At the start of the second half the home side made their first change with Callum Cocks being replaced by Ryan Campbell-Jones.

O’Connell went close again but fired his shot wide after a one-two with Sleigh but on 57 minutes United regained the lead. A good ball down the left to Rogers who slipped his marker with a clever feint and continued his run to the bye line before cutting the ball back to Andrew Wright who made no mistake beating Turner.

Both sides made changes on 66 minutes Haydon Brown and Tolani Omotola replacing Banton and Sleigh and former Moatman Lewis Belgrave replacing Moore for United.
Brown was soon in the action causing problems down the right which resulted in him firing a shot which Durrant had to save. Six minutes later he this time turned provided as another fine run down the right and after getting the better of United defender Aaron Cole put the ball across to O’Connell waiting in the middle of the area who then drilled a long low shot in at the far post.

With the penalty shoot out looming, both sides made changes in the final few minutes. Alby Lansdowne replacing Hunniford for Rovers and another former Moatman James Spruce for Alans Voskresenskis.

Rovers were still pressing for a winner with Tyson heading wide and Josh Waldram making a good run through the middle but skewing a shot wide of the upright, but the referee ended the game, and the lottery of penalty kicks was to decide the game.

In the end with one of Rovers’ penalties hitting the bar and United converting all of their kicks it was the home side who goes through to the semifinals.

It was a pity to have lost a game Rovers should easily have won with the number of chances created but the manager and players can be proud of this performance and the way the battled back twice after being behind.

Match Stats
Shots on Target 6 3
Shots off Target 7 4
Corners 5 1
Fouls Conceded 6 6
Yellow Cards 0 0
Red Cards 0 0
Possession (%) 53 43
Streaming Interview
Long Eaton United
1 Ross Durrant (c)
2 Aaron Cole
3 Callum Cocks
4 George Atwal
5 Riece Bertram
6 Luke Martin
7 Joseph Nyahwema
8 Andrew Wright
9 Alanis Voskresenskis
10 Jack Rogers
11 Prestyn Moore
12 Cieron Keane
not used
14 James Spruce
for 9 - 83 mins
15 Ryan Campbell-Gordon
for 3 - 46 mins
16 Lewis Belgrave
for 11 - 66 mins
17 Jonny Lees
not used
Gresley Rovers
1 Louie Turner
2 Jayden Cotterill
3 Josh Egginton
4 Josh Waldram
5 John Guy
6 Martin Smyth
7 Nathan Banton
8 Dylan Hunniford
9 Jamie Sleigh
10 Jack Tyson (c)
11 Kieran O'Connell
12 Hayden Brown
for 7 - 64 mins
14 Tola
for 9 - 64 mins
15 Alby Lansdowne
for 8 - 80 mins
16 Jonathan Dawkins
not used
17 Marc Strzyzewski
not used
Other Match Info

Referee: Ryan Haynes

Attendance: 133

Star Player
Josh Egginton

Josh Egginton

Chosen by Ian Collins who said Josh never put a foot wrong